Skip to main content

Dreaming it's all a dream

 
     I have yet to determine whether the sunsets have become more beautiful or if I never took the time to acknowledge them. Either way, they are absolutely breathtaking. I try my best to watch the sun disappear into the city each night. Its something about the energy in the sky and those fascinating colors swirling into one another, that grabs my attention. The sunsets are dreamy.
     Every now and again, I get myself caught up in my own dreams. I used to get caught up in dreams about my future career, husband, car, home, family, and even my own business. Now, I find myself wondering if all of this is a dream? Maybe I am going to wake up and my life is going to be just the way it was a year ago. I would be traveling down the right path and achieving great things. My relationship would still be healthy, my focus in school would be where it needed to be, I would have a job that supported me comfortably, I could come and go as I please, and I could be myself again. Unfortunately, that is not the case, I'm not dreaming, and this is my reality.
     Some days things flow so smoothly, that I forget. I forget I'm being punished by the courts and I have two devices strapped to my ankle like an animal. I only forget for a few minutes or so, but sometimes that is all I need. Luckily, I figured out early in the game there are two ways to go about my new lifestyle, I can pity myself and think of all the things I would have done differently or I can accept that this is how things are going to be and I can only move forward from here.
   Some days the first option sounds more favorable and I usually spend those days sleeping and indulging in too much junk food. I enjoy sleeping on rough days because it is the only time my imagination is able to flutter. I've had a few nightmares here and there, but for the most part they are pleasant dreams. I think that's a good sign. My dreams still have their freedom and they are free to venture wherever they want.
    One of my best qualities is I am able to adjust to just about any circumstance, this being one of them. As I mentioned before, sometimes I forget I'm on house arrest. It just seems normal, I've grown accustomed to how things are. I go where I need to and then I come home. I do not even entertain the idea of checking out the latest movies or dining out with a friend. It is not going to happen any time soon and the more I think about it, the more upset I am going to be. I've been forced to learn this is the way things are and it is beyond my control. Things could always be worse and I have to remember that. I should be thankful I have a home, I'd much rather be on house arrest than be homeless.
     If you're on house arrest or wearing a Scram bracelet, hang in there! You're going to have good days, bad days, and so-so days. I'm learning it all has to do with our perception. If you're able to alter your perception you will be just fine. I thank God each and every day for the strength he has given me. Sometimes we just have to work with what we've got.


Sincerely,


Allison

"Bloom where you're planted" - Mary Engelbreit

Comments

  1. Also on SCRAM in CA., Also an ALLISON : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allison!
    It's wonderful meeting a fellow Allison and fellow "scrammer". How long have you been on Scram? Hope you're doing well :) Thanks for commenting!

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on over a month. I don't miss drinking at all; it's the "products" that I miss!
    ALLISON

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The alcohol monitoring device AKA SCRAM

                 I have been court mandated to wear a SCRAM bracelet. A SCRAM bracelet is an alcohol monitoring device that is strapped around your ankle and records your consumption. Before my "incident" I had never heard of something like that, sounded a little hi-tech to me. It's an interesting device if you think about it, unless you're the one wearing it. The monitor takes its readings from your sweat. No, I am not sweating like a pig, but the anklet is pressed up against your skin at all times, and that allows the monitor to take an effective reading. Here is the best part of the whole gig, it vibrates. The vibration occurs every thirty minutes, you can feel it, and other people can hear it, quite embarrassing. If I'm in a quiet room, like class or AA meetings, I'll grab my phone as if that's where the noise is coming from.                    Don't worry, it gets worse! If having this gigantic, sweaty, vibrating device on your ankle isn't ir

How I hide my "accessories" in public

      Having not one, but two ankle bracelets is a little much. I have one on each leg, I guess if they wanted to be real jerks they could have stuck two on one leg. Thank the lord all of my officers like me and are extremely pleasant! They've realized I'm not their average "criminal". During all of this, everyone has been really friendly. When I go to the House Arrest office all the officers socialize and make little jokes with me. Then another person walks in and their whole demeanor changes. Kind of funny. Hint Hint: Be as nice as you can to these people. It is truly amazing how nice they can be in return. These are the people that report to your judge too. So, it's in your best interest to be kind to them. Anyways, back to the ankle accessories. I'd much rather call them "accessories". I thought those were just used in movies, I did not think people really have monitoring devices strapped to their ankles like a science experiment. That just go

The Joy of "Plugging In"

      I've been in hiding lately, but not to worry I'm still here. My family has come to spend some of their summer vacation with me. They've taken up a majority of my time, but I'm not complaining. Some company is nice for a change. It makes house arrest a lot more interesting with a little bit of company. I need to write more frequently, daily is too much, but I think weekly is too little. What do you guys think?      Anyways, I have yet to inform you the most exciting part of house arrest. I like to call it "plugging in". For two hours everyday you must plug your ankle monitor into the wall to charge. A long cord is hooked to my ankle, and it makes me feel like I'm some kind of robot. It is very important to keep a full battery at all times, they ask you to charge every day, at the same time. If your battery dies, they cannot find you, and you're in trouble. By they, I mean the house arrest people. They do not like to call you and you do not lik